Tuesday, April 20, 2010

a fellow "tom"

The following individual was drawn just as soon as I received my refurbished wacom drawing tablet in the mail.  Mine is a more primitive model, but boy is it different than drawing with a mouse. This man is an actor named Tom Wilkinson.  It's easier to draw well known faces, cause you get a better idea if you captured the likeness or not.  You might remember Tom from Batman Begins or maybe if you caught Valkyrie.  He was nominated for best supporting actor for his role in Michael Clayton, which I was totally floored by (or 'by which I was totally floored').

In the process of sketching out his face, the computer froze up on me.  This was before I was in the habit of saving my work as I go. The whole thing would have been lost, however, turns out I'm crafty. I took a picture of the sketch on the frozen screen with my nifty camera phone, reset the computer, then re-uploaded it back into photoshop via advanced bluetooth technology.


After a few filtering tricks and some slight un-skewing of the image, I was back in business, sort of.
Then I decided to ruin the drawing by trying my hand at painting it.
It turned out kind of flat and waxy looking.  I think I like the un-painted drawing better.

4 comments:

Shelly said...

Way to go with the advanced bluetooth technology! That's some resourcefulness for ya.

Ben Taggart said...

I liked Tom Wilkinson in "The Importance of Being Earnest". He's a great character actor.

Tom Giles said...

haven't seen that one, ben. i'll put it on the list. so, are you taking a break from the void or are you already working on something new.

Season said...

This was back BEFORE you were in the habit of saving, huh?