Thursday, March 10, 2011

Little Jack Horner

Little Jack Horner
Sat in the corner,
Eating a Christmas pie;
He put in his thumb,
And pulled out a plum,
And said 'What a good boy am I!'






Can anyone tell me why he puts his thumb in the pie?  I'm sure he has a good reason.  And why does this make him a good boy?  Is it because of his hand-eye coordination?

This was an assignment for school.  I was trying to figure this problem out before I started, but I couldn't understand why he does it.  What is his motivation?  What does he gain from butchering the pie?  Is Jack some sort of sadist?  I should like to think not.  Any input?

3 comments:

Kris said...

Actually, Little Jack Horner has English historical significance, as do many common nursery rhymes. It was something to the effect that Horner was delivering some deeds for property as a bribe to the king in the 1600's or something like that. The deeds were hidden in a pie...a common practice in that day to thwart thieves. Horner realized that the king would not be bribed so he stole the deed for the Manor of Mellon (the "plum" of the properties) and that property stayed in the Horner family until the 20th century. I'm not up on my history, but once upon a time I learned about several nursery rhymes and their real meaning...kind of interesting anyway.
By the way, love your animation!

Shelly said...

Go Kris!! Very fun animation. I totally see your facial expressions in your animations.

Season said...

Well shucks, Mom. How is anyone supposed to follow with that?

P.S. Tom: GOOD ONE.